Find More Cool Things

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Random Writing Extravaganza Week 1: Duct Tape

Here we have a thing called a Poem. I hate to admit that 99.99% of the time, I loathe writing poetry. I don't get it. Why do things have to be on different lines? Why not make them grammatical sentences? Sure, Shakespeare, and Dickens, and Poe, and all those other dead people got uber mega famous off of it, but it's just not up my alley -- except for when it's a mandatory warm up in my creative writing class. Somehow, this came out of it, and I actually enjoyed the fifteen minutes it took to bang this thing out.

The prompt required us to choose ten things we encountered in the last twenty-four hours of our life. My list was: text messages between my sister and step brother when my step brother's school went on lock down for a bomb threat, my mom, protest signs, chocolate, my best friend, Mackenzie, duct tape, fire, pages upon pages of agents on QueryTracker, Sturm und Drang (a German phrase from the Romantic era which translates to "Storm and Stress"), and paintings of San Francisco my grandpa gave me from when he visited the city a long time ago.

My title here roughly came down to "Duct Tape."


These boys remind me of some of my Renegade boys.


It’s no coincidence.

Exhaustion rallies on my eyelids
Though not nearly as hungry as the boys prowling the hallways
Hands shaking, clutching the bombs that pirouette,
And pose threat to my step brother’s school.

Mothers and students become a single monster in the Black Sea
More of a curve than Lombard street
Yet they melt like chocolate and caramel in their Sturm und Drang

As drug stores sell out of poster board,
The world sells out of duct tape.
But never will I sell out of anthems,
For being fired only tosses pine branches onto our pyre.

We are no coincidence.

LOOK AT THIS FUN PICTURE OF ME AND MY CAT THAT'S COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO MY POEM!!



Okay, for real though. One of the things I wanted to do with a blog was share my work and maybe, maybe, hear back from some people, which would fulfill another goal of this blog: writer-ly interaction. That said, I'd love to hear from you in the lovely comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment